Alternative To Amiga 500, 600 and 1200 Power Connector

One of the more difficult parts to find for the Amiga 500, 600 and 1200 (and Commodore 128) is the square power supply connectors.

Power Socket

Power Plug

In my browsing on the Internet, I’ve found the power sockets are available from Vesalia Online for €9.90, and power plugs from a few online re-sellers like The Future Was 8-bit for £13.99.  Unfortunately I had no success finding a re-seller in North America.  So it got me wondering if I could find an alternative.

Reference

For reference sake, the Amiga power socket and plug was made by Power Dynamics .  The power socket is a DS-215 and the power plug is a DP-215.

Alternative?

In the Power Dynamics catalog for DIN connectors I noticed that the DS-108 8-pin round DIN socket has many of the same measurements as the Amiga square socket.

My thought was that if I could cut or remove some of the pins that are not used on the Amiga that this could be a potential alternative socket.  And if so, finding round DIN plugs would be relatively easy.

I reached out to Power Dynamics to see who would be the nearest re-seller so I could order a couple to play around with.  Alas, they never responded.  So I went looking on eBay to see if I could find something close.  I found some inexpensive 8-pin round DINS sockets and plugs.

Socket

Plug

Assembly

What was great was these particular sockets could be disassembled and the unused pins could be removed.

The only thing I had to modify was the shield connection at the front of the socket.  The shield pins were too wide.  So with a bit of snipping and soldering I modified the shield pins.

Original Shield

Modified Shield

This left me with a perfect slot-in replacement socket for the Amiga power connector!

The pins slotted right into the PCB locations on the motherboard and I soldered it in without any problems.  I then put the case back together in order to see how it looked.

So after installing the new socket, my focus changed to the plug. First I needed to know what socket positions were for which voltages since some pins were removed.  I came up with this little reference.

So knowing this, I soldered the 8-pin DIN plug onto a length of 5 conductor cable paying special attention to align the proper pins to the correct voltages.

Results

I then wired the cable up to a T-60B AC/DC power supply I had from an earlier project (see A1200 Power Supply Option) and was eager to give it a try.

Survey says!

It worked!

I didn’t have a monitor handy so I just routed the video into a laptop I had nearby with a cheap USB capture device and used OBS.

Please excuse the mess.

Conclusion

Overall I’m very happy how this turned out.  Based on the results I feel that the round 8-pin DIN sockets and plugs are definitely a viable alternative to the square DIN connectors.  So to all my Amiga and C128 friends: no more hacking up dead power supplies to harvest parts!  And no more paying huge costs for square DIN connectors.  We’re free!  Finally free!!!!  Muahahaha!!

Seriously, I hope you find this helpful.  All the best everyone!

10 thoughts on “Alternative To Amiga 500, 600 and 1200 Power Connector

• October 21, 2019 at 9:38 am

This is great Jason. If you do it again make a video.

Were the original connectors bespoke? I have never seen them used anywhere else.

• October 21, 2019 at 9:59 am

Thanks Duncan! I have a few more Amiga’s kicking around here that I could do the same thing to. On my next one I’ll be sure to record it and submit a video of it. Honestly the most time I spent was trying to get the original socket out of the motherboard. I don’t have a de-soldering gun, it I used a lot of desoldering braid/wick.

Regarding the original connectors, I can’t say for certain if they were bespoke. It would be curious if someone from PowerDynamics would share that. But like you, I’ve only seen them used on Amiga’s and the C128’s, so it’s totally possible they were custom made for Commodore.

• October 22, 2019 at 8:27 pm

Thanks arananet! I’m glad you liked it. It was a fun quick little project. I just hope others find is somewhat useful if they’re having problems sourcing the square sockets or plugs. Here in North America they aren’t easy to track down.

• October 24, 2019 at 10:33 pm

Nice solution! Fwiw, the square DIN plug can be obtained in North America via https://www.soigeneris.com/commodore-128-amiga-500-600-square-din-5-pin-male-connector

But I totally get you on the receptacle issue if you need to replace one.

When Ray Carlsen makes a c128 to C64 adapter plug, he uses a molding compound to form the receptacle shape. Not entirely elegant but functional.

There’s also some similar 64 to 128 (round DIN to square DIN) options from https://commodore4ever.net/collections/adapters that also could provide options.

• October 25, 2019 at 2:31 pm

Thanks Mr.Toast! I’m glad you liked the article.

Thanks for sharing the link for a North American source for the square DIN plugs and the 64 to 128 adapters! I will likely help others as they try to source those plugs.

• October 31, 2019 at 9:45 pm

Great article Jason, thanks! And that link from Mr. Toast is really great since these connectors are – to say the least, very elusive.

However, at 8.95 USD a piece, that is a little tough to swallow for such a small piece of plastic and metal. Maybe we should pool resources and order a batch of them?

• November 3, 2019 at 3:44 pm

Thanks Laurent! I’m glad you liked it. The cost of the square DIN plugs and sockets was the primary reason I posted this article. I totally agree it would be great if they were back in production again! I don’t know if the Amiga community is big enough for any company to take that on. I saw on the Amiga Facebook group that it sounds like someone went down that road and it didn’t end up being financially viable. 🙁 But I’ll continue to dream! And in the meantime, if someone is stuck then perhaps this use of round DIN plugs might help. 🙂

• April 18, 2020 at 3:47 pm

Hi SukkoPera! What a small world. As it happens I saw your project run across my Twitter feed a few weeks ago. That is an incredible project! I’m glad that you found the information in my article helpful. You’re most welcome. It was very creative of you to integrate the DIN-8 connector in your project to give people the choice. And it was awfully nice that you listed me in your readme.md. 🙂 Thanks!