Xeroxmorphs in Dittoland: to Cimmeria and beyond!

Taito’s 1987 hacky-slashy coin-op classic, Rastan Saga, was ported to all the usual 8-bit suspects, though only a demo ever appeared for the 16-bit home micros courtesy of Ocean, and thatΒ was for the stinky Atari ST so hardly counts.

While Arnie Schwarzenegger’s $100m grossing almost-blockbuster, Conan the Barbarian, had been around since 1982, kids were still clamouring for bronzed, ripply-muscled freedom fighters in loincloths. With a gaming void to fill, naturally a number of similarly themed titles emerged for the Amiga, one of which was Torvak the Warrior; an action platformer developed by Core Design and unleashed in 1990.

With narrative swiped straight out of Conan and aesthetics and mechanics heavily inspired by Rastan and Victor Interactive’s Legendary Axe, it had the brazen gumption to set the dark ages ablaze. Well, did it? Lay down your warhammer for a moment weary dragon vanquisher, pour yourself a hornful of mead, and join me around the campfire to find out.

6 thoughts on “Xeroxmorphs in Dittoland: to Cimmeria and beyond!

• March 10, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Excellent article! Game seems awesome I must try it out. And I also learned a new word, “Plotification”. πŸ™‚

• March 11, 2017 at 10:52 am

Thanks, glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I wouldn’t go using it in any essays you’ll be graded for – I don’t think you’ll find it in the dictionary. πŸ˜‰

• April 6, 2017 at 10:55 pm

Finally had a chance to read this dreamkatcha. Another wonderful article. I love your stuff. As far as the new words…what do they say? Necessity is the mothert of invention. πŸ™‚

Thanks for another great article.

• September 15, 2017 at 1:11 am

Awesome work πŸ™‚ This is definitely a good game.
    I have played it after reading Your article and I like it πŸ™‚
    Levels are large, there are lot of items to find and there are many different monsters to slay.
    Only lack of both sound effects and music is a big con for me.
    Somebody with coding skills should patch it πŸ™‚
    As You say, fighting require those jump-backs. It took me some time to learn that. Swinging axe took too long to just stand in one place, finding right position is a key to victory.

• September 15, 2017 at 12:37 pm

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. πŸ™‚

It seems that it’s only a matter of time before everything gets revamped so who knows?, maybe this will get a second bite of the cherry one day too. It certainly had the potential to make it worth the trouble.

• September 15, 2017 at 2:13 pm

Yeah, could be cool to have version with both music and effects. Maybe even with some cd32 pad support. Who knows how WHD will be in future? πŸ™‚

Comments are closed.