6 thoughts on “I am Zuul. I am the Gatekeeper.

• March 19, 2016 at 11:51 pm

Excellent article!

I remember when this came out. All the hype about it and how it was a Sonic-killer.

I was skeptical, if only ebcause I played Sonic and knew that it would take Japan-level genius ot beat its brilliance.

When I played it I knew I was right to be skeptical, as it was not thhat great.

The character was plain and lacked Sonic's appeal, and so did the level-design and graphics and music.

European game developers are at their best when they go their own way (ex: "Another World", "Mega Lo Mania"), instead of trying to take on the Japanese at the latter's game.

Still, a slightly better effort than some of the Sonic0ripoffs that appeared on the Mega Drive/genesis itself.

• March 22, 2016 at 11:07 am

Thanks. 🙂

I hadn't given much thought to Sonic clones on the Mega Drive itself. It's such a bizarre idea to even attempt it – the Mega Drive's Sonic was Sonic. If you owned one you didn't need to compromise, just put the Sonic cartridge in the slot! 😀

• November 8, 2016 at 8:30 pm

This is the first of your articles that I've read and I loved it. It's written in a style that takes me back to the magazines I grew up with (Games Master, PC Gamer, MicroMart) and that is truly wonderful. My gods, how insincere does this gushing praise sound?

Good job. I look forward to reading more!

• November 9, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Thanks for the kind feedback, I really appreciate it. Actually, I'm just amazed several of you have managed to stick with it to the end – that takes some dedication! 😉

Often I'm not sure if anyone other than Aaron and John are reading these articles so it's great to know I'm on the right track.

• November 9, 2016 at 5:51 pm

No way! Have you looked at the analytics for your posts? Most of the time you get more hits than the podcast does! You are *definitely* on the right track.

• November 10, 2016 at 11:36 am

Yep, plenty of views, I'm just not sure how that converts to genuine 'reads'.

I think something Jon Hare said must have been playing on my mind: that the written review is dead – these days it's all about the audio-visual experience. You can see that from the level of interest generated by the same topics on YouTube.

I can understand that, it's the way we appreciate the wider world so it stands to reason people have become focused on richer media now it's easier to do.