NES vs Amiga500

Everything Amiga Forums AMIGOS parlor NES vs Amiga500

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  El_Guap0 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

El_Guap0
    Participant

So… There was a tiny bit of confrontation on the last Friday-free-for-all on whether NES or the Amiga had the more memorable music and I’d like to elaborate. I get it, the Amiga had that stupid choice between playing with music OR sfx (not all games mind you). But I’d like to take a second to reflect on whether there’s a difference between catchy and good music.

Super Mario Bros as well as Giana Sisters had catchy music. Does that make it “good”?
    The best NES music I can think of, and this is of course from a personal point of view, are all from people that made music for the commodore like my favourite composer Tim Follin (Solstice & Silver Surfer).

Now is that music more or less memorable than let’s say MegaMan?
    I think that exposure has made MegaMan the “better” soundtrack and not the quality of the actual songs. Simply put more people played it.
    Much like a lot of computer games get left out when talking about the history of video games, what is considered good video games music is often muddled in arguments of nostalgia and widespread exposure.

Yes, the Amiga had more qualitative music than the Nintendo Entertainment System!

Shameless promotion:      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOJ2mfIu4Nw

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

MikroMidas
    Participant

And we must not forget that people could make music on their Amiga with Protracker, Octamed and so forth.  For example, The Amiga Preservation project has now over 140.000 (!) mods in their database. 🙂 There are many great and fantastic songs from Amiga demos that are (in my opinion) the best.

… and hundreds more! 😉

Attachments:

Daniel Cordell
    Participant

Doesn’t depend on the sound chip but depends more on the artist making the music on the gear as well as your Midi connections and keyboard you have and if it works well on the chip and all of that stuff.

A good tune is based on the artist’s skill at playing the equipment hooked up and the equiptment used to create the tune. The chip is only there to output the sound they have created and every chip has a unique sound on it.

Atari consoles pre Jaguar I wasn’t impressed with at all for music but the sound effects were good. But then I haven’t heard any tunes by good Atari artists.

El_Guap0
    Participant

Wow those demos must’ve been quite late in the amiga life cycle. My favourite demos were Bud Brain and Red Sector Megademo.
    And @Daniel Cordell, That’s exactly my point. Just look at the EXTREMELY limited sound chip of the ZX Spectrum and what Tim Follin managed to get out of it:

3 channels, square wave only and 1(!) bit sound.

Attachments:
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.