Gary Hucker’s HUGE Amiga Haul

Our buddy Gary in New Zealand just stumbled upon a treasure trove of Amiga goodness!

He writes:

“Last week I received a call from a guy I bought an Amiga off via our local online auction site a while back. He said he knew a guy who had just passed away and his family was selling his Amiga collection.

He put me in contact with them and they sent me a list of the working gear.

Get this…

5 x A2000s

1 x A2500

1 x A3000

1 x CD32

1 x A1200

3 x A500s

1 x A500 plus

2 x A600s

6 x Commodore screens

Various peripherals, including flicker fixers, video gear, memory, hard drives, books, manuals and the list goes on… Too much to itemise.

I’ve started to go through it and I have so far tested the A1200, 2 x A600s (1 bad) and 3 x A500s (1 bad), A500+.

I fired up the A3000, A2500 and one of the A2000s but I did not get any video output. I think that’s because of screen incompatibility with the flicker fixers. I don’t know much about the big box machines and have never seen any before.

Anyway, I thought you’d like to hear about that. I’ve attached photos. I’ll let you know how I get on with the remaining units.”

8 thoughts on “Gary Hucker’s HUGE Amiga Haul

• October 21, 2016 at 6:08 am

Wow…that fella gathered a helluva collection before he passed! Whadda you gonna do with all that hardware?

• October 22, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Hi Will, Yes I consider myself very lucky. I'm slowly working my way through it just to see what's working and what's not. The majority so far is good but I'm battling leaky batteries and the corrosion that comes with it. I'm going to put my findings up on the blog. Cheers. Gary.

• October 22, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Hey Aaron, Yes the whole family were nuts for Amigas. They ran businesses with them and played with them. The son in law of the old fella told me they were forced to use PCs in the end but they hung in for as long as possible with the Amigas. I intend on keeping a couple of each type of model and maybe selling off the rest. I may also keep some for spares etc. I'll update the blog as I go. Cheers, Gary.

• October 22, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Hi Everyone, I've been making progress with checking the computers' status. Quite a few machines have minor battery leakage damage and batteries still installed! Removing the batteries and cleaning up the corrosion is my first priority. I'm not too familiar with these big box Amigas so this is proving to be a great learning experience.
    One of the A3000s is now up and running. It was only getting to boot menu when I received it. If I tried to boot from floppy or the installed SCSI drive, I got a message "cannot get memory". After flicking through the manual I found that there are two types of fast RAM, 20 pin DIP and 20 pin ZIP modules and if the DIPs are present the ZIPs in bank zero should not be populated, which they were. I removed the DIPS and fully populated the ZIP sockets with RAM from the other dead A3000 and attempted to boot the machine in it's bare form. There was a different problem this time; a yellow screen and then black. I installed the daughter board and tried again. Bingo! It booted into Workbench from the SCSI drive. I tried some games from the floppy drive and all seems well.
    There is one minor issue with the floppy drive in that I can't use dual internal floppy drives. If I have a drive plugged into the last connector on the floppy ribbon cable it boots but I get the timer mouse cursor continuously and only the right mouse button is active. No manner of left clicking achieves any result. I found a jumper on the board to enable the second internal floppy but it made no difference. I cannot boot from any floppy drive but not sure if it's a cable issue, drive issue or boot disk issue.

I tried cleaning up the second A3000 but I can't get any life out of it, even after swapping out the ROM chips and Denise and Paula chips.

There is a guy in Christchurch, New Zealand who does repair work and I may send it to him to look at. I can do minor repairs but I'm not too keen on messing with these more rare computers. It sounds like the A3000 motherboards have several planes in them so it's important not to damage the vias in the board.

My work today will include going through several A2000s and removing any batteries found and cleaning corrosion.

By the way, I checked the A2500 yesterday and when I lifted the CPU from it's corroded socket, several of the socket pins disintegrated. I may have a go at resocketing the CPU.

My other half is now an Amiga widow…

Until the next update, thanks for the opportunity to rave about this stuff. There aren't any other Amigan's I know in my area so this is a great outlet.

Cheers,
    Gary

• October 24, 2016 at 11:54 am

Wow, what an Aladdin's cave you uncovered there! It's fantastic that it's all going to a good home and to someone who knows what they're doing and is prepared to put the time, effort and cash into restoring it.

Welcome to the team. 🙂

• October 24, 2016 at 11:52 pm

Thanks dreamkatcha. I love messing around with this sort of gear. As I may have said, I'm not very familiar with the big box gear but I've learned a lot already.
    Keep and eye out for progress blogs.

Cheers.

• October 25, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Hi Gary!

That's an exceptional find! I'm based in Wellington. It would be nice to chat with you, at some point. I'd be keen to know about that chap in Christchurch that performs Amiga repairs.

Regards