Teen reacts to the Amiga 500

I’m not quite sure how old he is actually. He Looks like he’s in his late teens (despite the much older sounding voice) – certainly too young to have experienced the Amiga when it was current anyway, and that’s the point.

The title of his YouTube, hardware tear-down video, ‘Why Not To Buy An Amiga In 2016‘, should give you a clue as to his verdict. To be fair to the system though, he’s bought an “untested, sold-as-seen” bit of vintage tech, and the battered example that arrived hardly does it justice.

Illustration for the purpose of deceptive exaggeration only, this isn’t the Amiga in question.
Yes, I’m a dirty, rotten scoundrel and was probably a journalist (or politician) in another life.

We interrupt this transmission to inject a dollop of preachy advice…

I find that eBay sellers who describe retro consoles and computers as “untested”, tend to fall into one of several categories…

• They regularly sell this type of hardware, have thoroughly tested it and found it to be completely knackered, but don’t want to admit it because it will inevitably slash the final sale price.
  • They honestly don’t know what state of functionality it’s in because they haven’t got the knowledge or equipment to put it through its paces.
  • They know how to check the system, yet don’t have the time or inclination to bother. Some people will genuinely be having a loft clear-out and just want to get shut of everything ASAP, or are selling gear on behalf of friends or family so the history of the items is vague.

One way to help you decide if they’re on the level is by checking their sales history, or taking a look at the other items they have on offer to establish whether they’re a dealer or not.

…as you were…

Ryan is a network administrator from Sheffield, and while he’s clued up about computers in general, he’s quite misinformed about the limitations and expandability of the Amiga 500. Also, it’s not clear what he’d like to do with it that he believes isn’t possible. How can you tell if a system needs upgrading at all if you’ve never even flicked its power button on before? An unpimped 500 with half a meg of RAM will play hundreds of classic games, and after all, that’s the ‘meat and potatoes’ of this base model, to use a colloquialism and confuse non-Brits in the process, sorry.

Nevertheless, we all make mistakes and he’s clearly got the bug now as he went on to have another dabble with an Amiga 1200, which he was much more enamoured by.

It’s certainly refreshing to see someone wanting to learn about the Amiga who appreciates its charm, yet has no nostalgic bias towards the platform. That’s rarer than hen’s teeth embedded in rocking horse dung… under the light of a blue moon.

11 thoughts on “Teen reacts to the Amiga 500

• August 27, 2016 at 11:00 am

I've just watched it!

I've written a response, but I don't know if I should post it as a comment to the video, as I may get abuse on my own YouTube vids if he doesn't like my reply.

But, yeah. Totally ridiculous.

• August 27, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Woah horsey, keep it constructive! ;D

If there's any fall out I suppose there's always the delete button. Either way I'd love to read your thoughts.

Did he really say a 4gb HD wouldn't provide enough storage space, or did I dream that?

• August 27, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Ha! He did indeed, along with a load of other rubbish. I was going to say this, but maybe not:

"So, you bought an untested (probably broken) Amiga that's about 29 years old, with a cracked case, then opened it up and broke the CPU? Then you tell people not to buy an Amiga because of that as well as your's being rusty inside, and also because the disk drive may break in the future.

Seriously?

You then say an A600 may be okay, which wouldn't make any difference if you buy a broken rusty one and then break the CPU.

Actually, if someone bought a working Amiga 500, all they'd need to do is switch it on and put disk in the drive to play a game.

You also say that one of the reasons the Amiga was short lived is because the memory expansion you have has a switch you don't like. Really? Also, The Amiga was in production for 9 years, and I was still buying commercial software, games and magazines for it until about 2000. I don't class it as short lived.

You seem to be under the impression that Commodore still exists, as you are reviewing it as such (mentioning lack of OS upgrades, etc.).

Also, that isn't a PCMCIA slot."

Maybe that's me just getting too annoyed at it. I might just say:

"Or you could buy one that works, not break it, and play games on it"

• August 27, 2016 at 2:02 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head there, and it was more restrained than it could have been. I don't think it should incite any dummy spitting… maybe no response at all given he hasn't replied to the two existing comments, and the video was uploaded in March. One of those was a really helpful tip too.

It's all so muddled. He's aware of new mod cons like the Gotek and CF HDs, yet isn't joining the dots.

I noticed he's done some videos about ReactOS, though I haven't watched them. I had no idea that was still around. I dabbled with it years ago when it was an amoeba, and I was desperate to get shut of Windows. I'm so glad we have plenty of solid alternatives these days.

• August 28, 2016 at 2:33 pm

Sigh… I don't even know what to say. The probability of an A500 working when one of the CPU pins broken is pretty low to begin with. Unfortunately the video creator doesn't mention how the pin "fell off"; if it was through him removing it to "clean the dust off"???

I did have a chuckle that he was convinced the Agnus, Paula, Denis, and Gary chips were knockoffs somehow because they were manufactured by MOS. A quick look on good ole' Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Technology) shows that Commodore bought MOS Technology in 1976 and renamed it to Commodore Semiconductor Group. Even though Commodore owned the company they continued to stamp the chips with the MOS logo until 1989. So that took me 10 seconds to find. Is it too much to ask that people to a bit of research before broadcasting to the world? Look at the effort you guys into your articles! It's not easy, but its right!

BTW, putting a PC floppy drive into an Amiga is possible if you want to modify the drive. Again 5 seconds with Google -> http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=30944.

I'd take that A500 off his hands in a heartbeat if he wants to junk it! I should post a reply to his video to offer to take the "junk" off his hands if it's just going to throw it away anyway. I'm just not in the UK so shipping might be a pain.

• August 29, 2016 at 7:05 am

That picture makes me wanna scream…hah. I just flipped through this dudes video myself…just an uninformed dude who'm i'd wager is coming over from a PC background and has never dabbled in Amiga before. You guys covered it..the PCMCIA, the processor idiocy, the 4gb drive comment…he's hosed. I hope someone sets the dude right, points him to a cheap 68000 replacement, and then maybe we'll get the "I screwed up, the A500 is awesome" video apology somewhere down the line.

• August 30, 2016 at 12:54 am

Yep, you'd think out of pure curiosity alone he'd get Googling before putting his foot in his mouth.

Binning it is stupid no matter what condition it's in. There'll always be someone who can recycle the parts, even if it's just for an art project. He should have gathered that much from buying it from eBay in the first place.

• August 30, 2016 at 1:03 am

Did you watch his A1200 video? That's sort of an admission of getting it wrong. Well as close as we'll get anyway.

• September 1, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Well you've missed a real treat there then. Ryan showcases the A1200's capabilities by testing that the Workbench calculator is adding figures up correctly, and playing a flat game of chess… not even *Battle* Chess! He goes on to compare the system to a Game Boy Colour of all things. Riddle me that one, Batman.

• September 3, 2016 at 10:20 am

Oh, I'm going to have to watch it now. If I was showing off the A1200, the first thing I'd demo would be the calculator. Oh, wait. I meant last.