Episode 57 – Alien Breed

Download Mp3 (right-click and Save As)

Watch the podcast!

Watch us play it!

Show Notes on Google Plus

Thanks to our supporters: Paul Harrington, Laurent Giroud, Loggins, Jonas Rullo, Kolbj?rn Barmen, Tapes From the Crypt,  Adam Bradley, Chris Foulds Will Williams Daniel Bengston, O’Brien’s Retro and Vintage, Chad Halstead, and Brent Doughty!

Support Amigos on Patreon!

10 thoughts on “Episode 57 – Alien Breed

• August 27, 2016 at 2:57 pm

You mentioned Paradroid. See my avatar on the left? That's from Paradroid. It's one of the most famous C64 games (not Spectrum as you guesses) ever made. Paradroid 90 came out on the Amiga and was quite good, though more difficult, I'd say.

To be slightly on-topic, Giger's name is pronounced Geeger.

And I can't believe you are using a console controller. Poor Aaron keeps dropping hints that the controller is not a good way to play games. Get a Zipstick! 🙂 I couldn't play anything with a console controller. While I'm on the subject, I found it funny when you said you mapped jump to a button on Ruff N Tumble. I often map button jumps to up when I play on other systems, as up to jump up and fire to fire a gun makes perfect sense and I find it much easier.

• August 28, 2016 at 11:58 am

Hi Paul! Thanks for the info on Paradoid. I must admit that your avatar always makes me think of Met from the Mega Man series. http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/capcomdatabase/images/4/4d/MM10Mettaur.png/revision/latest?cb=20101226203215

Thanks for the correct pronunciation on Giger. If they made a USB-compatible Zipstick, I'd snap it up right away! Somewhere in my basement, I have a 9-pin stick/USB adapter, but its whereabouts are unknown at the moment.

• August 28, 2016 at 2:55 pm

I've never played Mega Man, so I've never seen Met before. I see the resemblance.

I think they did make a USB Competition Pro (which is very similar to the Zipsticks that I use), but I actually use original ones I got in the 80s, with a Stelladaptor to use on my PC.

• August 29, 2016 at 7:17 am

C64…Paradroid. Got it…I knew i'd played it somewhere. Hey the Giger thing…I'll own that but I claim environmental influence on that pronunciation. I have always heard it pronounced that way, and only in the last year have I heard the correct pronunciation…on podcasts and videos from the UK I might add….I was actually surprised. I'd wager a lot of Americans have been butchering this fella's name for many moons.

• August 30, 2016 at 2:43 am

Your listener feedback really pushed my nostalgia buttons this week what with all the ratio talk.

I got online too late for the Amiga BBS scene, but I have fond memories of FXPing in Windows 95. I had a 56k modem then, though could still transfer data from one FTP site to another at the speed of light because it didn't have to be dragged down my own 'toobs'. Then there were the top secret 'no ratio' FTP sites loaded with freebies (Linux distros of course), all neatly organised into categories with notes from the donators. Great days!

You really raised the bar this week trivia-wise, pulling in quotes and tidbits from all over the shop. Excellent well-rounded review, thanks.

I found the Lucky Charms ad I think you're referring to. It repeats the name of the product a zillion times in the space of 30 seconds. Is that the standard of marketing they usually put out?

• August 30, 2016 at 11:55 am

I'll tell you, I get nostalgic about the old BBS days all the time. It's funny too…modems were slow, often unreliable, and with dial-up you had to wait your turn to get on, but man, there was a different vibe in those days. Now EVERYONE is on the internet for everything. In the BBS days it was a different beast. Only a handful of people had the jack and the machines to get on Bulletin Boards. BBS'ers were almost always teenagers to early 20-somethings, almost always intelligent, and often sort of 'fringey' in a way. There was a real community and most everyone lived nearby. I could talk forever about it..I feel fortunate to have had the chance to experience being online at that level.

• August 31, 2016 at 3:52 pm

I see what you mean. A leprechaun with an American accent! Is that the four horsemen of the apocalypse approaching on the horizon? 😀

• September 4, 2016 at 7:39 am

A little clarification on the verious versions of Alien Breed for modern systems.

*Ports* of the original game are available for PS3, Vita, iOS and Android. You can also get the original DOS version from GOG.

However, there's also a trilogy of Alien Breed "reimaginings" – Team 17 took the general concept and made new games for PS3, 360, and PC (that's what's available on Steam) with modern design in mind, full 3D, etc.