8 thoughts on “Episode 2 – Superfrog

• July 31, 2015 at 1:44 am

I love the show so far; glad to see that someone still remember the Amiga.

Although I find a bit of a disappointment, the fact that you guys really don't prepare your answer before the show….especially this episode, I heard something about a SCART port on the Amiga? Not sure what the C64C is; and so on.

I may understand that you may not know everything; like how to make a case, but a bit of search would clear all these doubts and make you guys to sound more knowledgeable about the Amiga, instead than give the feeling like you have just a brief idea of the whole Amiga world.

BTW the HDMI port is an output from the Indivision card, which is a flicker fixed/scan doubler, that output on DVI or HDMI, the Amiga video chipset; the card is sold with the DVI connector but there is a HDMI attachment.

Keep up the good work; hope to see improvements in the next episode

• July 31, 2015 at 3:22 am

The SCART connection is just a cable that plugs into the RGB Video port at the back of the Amiga, and the other end has a SCART plug on it. It's excellent quality, and the only sensible way to connect your Amiga to a TV (at least here in England, and probably most of Europe). I used a modulator for a few months when I first got my A500, and the quality was absolutely terrible through the RF lead in comparison. I remember playing SDI (Cinemaware), and I couldn't see the red pixel on the green radar screen through RF. SCART shows a perfect red pixel. What was the alternative to RF in America? Here the composite output was black and white on the A500 (the A1200 was colour, but still not as good as SCART).

After listening to your Superfrog stream on YouTube, I discovered you don't have Hedgehogs in America 🙂 You learn something every day!

Superfrog is possibly my favourite platform game. I've heard people mention the 'up to jump' thing a few times. It's odd to me, as I've always used joysticks with one button, and pressing fire to fire, and pushing up to jump up has always been very natural and logical to me. I sometimes re-map the controls in MAME to make up jump instead of a separate button, as I find it easier. I guess people who played on consoles or in arcades a lot are the ones who have the problem with it.

• July 31, 2015 at 4:18 am

Hey, i'm glad your enjoying the show so far. As for the prep work, i'll grant you it ain't perfect, but the way we attack the show is a bit different. We go on tangents and in directions that we just don't see coming. Not being from across the pond, my exposure to SCART is incredibly limited…we just don't have them here. The C64c or SX stuff, as I mentioned, I personally was never a c64 guy growing up..I had a TRS80 COCO2…so it's a bit out of my area. I actually owned a few 64's in the past couple of years, so i'm working on it.

• July 31, 2015 at 7:13 am

I agree with you on SCART as a quality connection. I know alot of console gamers who always talk about how bad we had it over here with RF. RF is STILL annoying us here..it makes plugging a classic console into your modern tv more then annoying. The quality…ugh…horrid. I recently modded my Colecovision with RCA jack outputs just to get past the gawd awful RF output.

• July 31, 2015 at 9:19 am

Hi Will, thanks for listening! You can find the podcast on iTunes by searching for Amigos Amiga and looking at the Podcast results on the search screen.

• July 31, 2015 at 9:30 am

Hey, just wanted to offer some more details about the AmigaOne…

It was NOT a Mac dual-boot but a stand-alone, honest-to-Gosh Amiga running on modern hardware. The "G3" I referred to was the type of PowerPC CPU, not an iMac or anything like that. It was a machine specifically built to run AmigaOS4. The very first release of the machine actually came packaged with Debian Linux because OS4 wasn't ready yet; the next run came with a pre-release of OS4. You could buy either the motherboard for an expensive price, or a complete system for an even more expensive price.

The AmigaOne disappeared, but a few years after it disappeared the SAM motherboard, another AmigaOS4 device, came out (and is still being made) for not QUITE as expensive as the AmigaOne, and also available as a stand-alone board or a complete system. I think the current operating system is 4.1.

I do believe there are how-to guides on how to make OS4 run on PowerPC-based Macs, like the old colored iMacs and stuff.

These things are pretty amazing. They run your Amiga stuff at lightning speeds, and you can also run software specifically made for PowerPC processors, such as WipEOut 2097 (I think it's called)…and MP3s actually encode pretty fast! (On my 060-upgraded Amiga 4000 it would take about ten minutes to encode one minute of sound.) Only problem with these machines is that if you have "classic" Amiga software that is specifically tied to Amiga-specific hardware (such as the Denise chip etc.), it won't run on the OS4 machines….unfortunately, Directory Opus Magellan is one such program. the OLD Directory Opus will run fine on it though.

• September 6, 2016 at 5:18 am

I'm going back and listening to the older episodes; I was curious to see what the Superfrog HD remake looks like, but apparently it has been pulled from all of the typical channels. Even the DOS version has disappeared from GOG.